Ridgeons is a family owned business with its roots firmly planted in the history of the East Anglia Region. Founded in 1911 by Cyril Ridgeon working from his own home in St Barnabas Road in Cambridge. In the following year a lease was taken on a one and a half acre site on Tenison road, Cambridge.
By 1925 Cyril’s son Elliot joined the business and which at this point became Cyril Ridgeon & Son. The business expanded after the First World War with the increase in house building and development of roads around the City. In 1942 Elliot became Managing Director after the death of his father Cyril.
The post war years saw the business develop into the town of March. The first branch is opened in 1946 on Broad Street, bringing Paint, Ironmongery and Showrooms to the town centre. In 1948 a yard is purchased on Creek Road for Building Materials, Timber, Boards, Heating and Plumbing products.
In 1958 the Saffron Walden Building Materials Supply Co. Ltd. is bought, on Station Street. it becomes part of the Ridgeon Group. David Ridgeon, grandson of Cyril, became Managing Director of the associate company, and gradually buys or rents most of Station St. In 1973 David Ridgeon became Managing Director and chairman of the Ridgeon Group on the death of his father Elliot. Thereafter under David Ridgeons stewardship throughout the rest of the century the Group continues to expand through both acquisitions and organic growth:
In the December the Group acquired its site in Rocklands near Attleborough.
1985 Saffron Walden
Purchased 32 acre site at Ashdon Road, Saffron Walden, and moved from Station Street in 1986. The branch started trading in August of the following year from 8.5 acres, with almost 2.5 acres all under one roof.
986 Ridgeons Forest Products (Herringswell). One of the most modern Timber production units in the country.
1988 Rocklands and March
Purchased 1.6 acres of land and extended the site at Rocklands and green field site on March Trading Park, 2 miles from Town Centre. The new March branch opened Jan 1990 in 3.9 acres.
A1 acre site and opened on 5 July.
1994 Cambridge Nuffield Road
A 5.2 acre site opened for business 30 October, 1995 and the Central Sales Office is officially opened in 1996.
1996 Cambridge Cromwell Road
An 8 acre site opens in November, complementing the Nuffield road site and together replacing the old Tenison Road branch.
A 1 acre site near Kings Lynn, later in 2005 this branch was granted a Royal Warrant for supplying the nearby Sandringham Estate.
1999 Halesworth, Ipswich, Newmarket, Thetford and Colchester
These branches were part of an acquisition made in 1999. That same year saw the group expand into Kelvedon also with a 3 acre site.
And so into the new century and the Group continued to flourish and expand:
A 1 acre site that included a saw mill.
Sudbury, Diss, & Lowestoft
Were all acquired in this year.
2001 Bury St Edmunds
An acquisition of a 2 acre site which commenced trading in May of 2002.
The branch underwent a major development program culminating in the opening of a brand new Kitchen and Bathroom Showroom in 2004.
2004 Anne Ridgeon
Anne picked up the baton and took over as Chairman of the group from her father David. In 2011 her husband, Johnnie Sam, joined the board as Deputy Chairman.
The branch was relocated to a brand new and larger site. Halesworth also moved to a new and larger location. And our Kitchen and Bathroom Showrooms at Saffron Walden, along with the Paint and Ironmongery department underwent some major refurbishments.
2006 Anglia Tool Centre
This brand new venture opens in Bury St Edmunds as a stand alone Power tool brand and internet trading initiative.
A brand new branch opened at Solopark in April.
Our second new branch this year opened in May.
2010 Martlesham Heath
A new branch open near Ipswich.
2011 Ridgeons Centenary
Ridgeons celebrate a 100 year journey with a programme of events, including a staff and family fun day out, branch and local school visits by a commemorative horse and dray and a thanksgiving church service.
2012 Bedford, St Neots and St Ives
Ridgeons open three new branches in August.
A new branch in Hitchin, Hertfordshire, was opened in September.